As you might already known Google acquisition of Nest - Thermostat firm is in news, the price of acquisition is 3.2 billions USD (so huge) .
- This is huge money for four year old start-up firm with three products (Thermostat, Smoke Detector, CO2 detector)
- Nest makes a thermostat and a smoke-and-carbon-monoxide monitor that can be controlled via Wi-Fi from a smartphone, and that can re-program themselves based on people's behavior pattern. For initially few weeks, you need adjust the settings, after that device takes care of it.
- The Nest thermostat already had the ability to link over Wi-Fi to another Nest thermostat in the same house to pool their data on when people adjusted the temperature and when activity was detected by the devices’ short- and long-range motion sensors. The Nest Protect has its own motion and light sensors that can feed data to a Nest thermostat nearby. In a home with multiple Nest smoke detectors, the company’s devices could get a very detailed picture of the inhabitants’ movements.
|Learning Thermostat, and also programmable|
|Intelligent Smoke detector|
Second Largest acquisition
- Fact is that Nest is second largest acquisition after Motorola
Co-founders ( Ex Apple)
- Google’s CEO Larry page said “Nest’s founders, Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers, have built a tremendous team that we are excited to welcome into the Google family. They’re already delivering amazing products you can buy right now–thermostats that save energy and smoke/CO alarms that can help keep your family safe. We are excited to bring great experiences to more homes in more countries and fulfill their dreams!”
- Co-founders are ex apple.
- Tony is Iphone, Ipod guru, extensively worked with Steve Jobs on both products
- Rogers from Apple too
|Nest founders Matt Rogers (left) and Tony Fadell (right) with Google CEO Larry Page (center).Image Credit: Nest|
- Like Steve jobs , they have run this firm like Apple ( 300 people firm), most of them are from Apple only
- They have added technology into normal thermostat. The thermostat is learning one, which records and syncs with other devices at home. Also so as "smoke detector", which co-ordinates with other device and provide early warnings, and can be shut-off simple wave of hand.
- Sitara AM37x ARM Cortex-A8 that can run Linux, Android, and Windows Embedded CE
- PowerVR core, OpenGL ES 2.0 is also supported.
- a ZigBee SoC that’s seemingly currently unused, lending to a theory that Nest has other devices in the works and will use ZigBee for wireless connectivity.
What Google will get
- Entry into Home automation space, and can learn the pattern and control the industry
- 1% of home automation in thermostat business
- Two co-founders
- 300 people team
- Google's latest acquisition is a huge bet on the Internet of Things, a new tech paradigm that aims to embed daily life objects -- from TVs to thermostats -- with the ability to stay connected to the Internet via connectivity sensors.
Hope you like this, please feedback.